Thursday, February 28, 2013

Don't Shoot the Messenger!!

So part of my job as a professional REALTOR® is prospecting.  One of my methods of prospecting for future clients is telling people about my current inventory.  Not only does it give me the opportunity to speak with other people about real estate, but serves as a great service to my seller when I call other people to talk about their home for sale.  Point blank, it's cold calling.  It's not easy, it's not always very fun, but it does work.  So I do it.  Today, I was calling around my listing at 146 Locust Court, Jacksonville, NC, 
 and one of the gentlemen that I had the pleasure of speaking with asked me to never call his home again because, "Realtors® are nothing but scam artists and take advantage of these young Marines in this town."  He belabored the point to tell me about the new 3.8% real estate tax that everyone has to pay is in the Obamacare bill and how no one in Jacksonville will be able to sell their home and it's only going to add to the 200 foreclosures in our town.  (His words, not mine!!)
Little did he know, I am, in fact, a US Army Veteran and I am in a very committed relationship with a Marine, and actually come from a military family.  So truly, scamming young Marines is not on my list of things to do.  I know not everyone has the same goals, but I think I speak for most of my REALTOR® comrades by saying that it's just not true.
I tried to explain to him that his information isn't accurate.  The fact is, the real estate tax of 3.8% ONLY applies to individuals who make more than $200,000 (adjusted gross income) and $250,000 for couples.  I don't think that's going to harm the average consumer in the Jacksonville, North Carolina real estate market right now.  
And as far as there being 200 foreclosures on the market- the actual statistics, according to Jacksonville Board of Realtors® MLS today, there are 2,424 homes on the market for sale in Onslow County.  Of those homes, 165 are foreclosure homes.  That's less than 7%.  And nationally, speaking, foreclosure sales are at an all time low since 2007, according to Les Christie at CNN Money.
Another part of my job, and probably the most important job, is educating.  I think it's more important for people to know the facts, rather than what they heard in the media or what their neighbor told them about the housing market in Toledo.  I don't go to the salon to ask about a weird noise my car is making, I go to the mechanic.  REALTORS® are here to educate and guide, as well as sell houses.  All REALTORS® aren't the same, and some are better than others.  Call me for a more detailed statistical analysis about the Jacksonville real estate market!  I'd love to help!

No comments:

Post a Comment